Friday 27 February 2015

No longer a slave to fear

Slavery comes in different ways, from the physical shackles that prevent people from running away, to the bondage of our hearts when we are held captive by our own fears. Either way, whatever the things that hold us and debilitate us the effect is still the same. We are held back from being everything that God wants us to be. 
   When Jesus died on the cross He died for us, He died to set the captive free. That doesn't just end at those who are actual slaves for other people (those trafficked and treated unfairly), but it also counts and expands for those who are slaves to fear, guilt, anxiety, depression, inadequacy, lust, heartbreak...the list goes on, it is endless. But in Jesus name we are set free from the chains that have held us.
    I know that it is a lot easier to hear than to live out. We struggle with these things daily and other people just don't understand exactly what you're going through, which is potentially true. Everyone's journey is their own, but we all have one thing in common - Jesus Christ came to die for us and our sins. He died for our freedom, so that our fears and anxieties no longer define us.
     I have struggled over the past few years with crippling anxiety. It has become part of my life, where actually I feel empty without worrying about something. I become obsessed with little things, something wrong I might have said in a conversation, things I've done wrong in the past, the way people view me. This was made worse when I was taken ill with glandular fever, although I was healed and I encountered God in a new and exciting way the lasting effects of glandular fever have not only ruined my body, but also my mind. It is known as Post Viral Depression and although I don't see it necessarily as depression and I struggle with being diagnosed with something like that it is something that is now part of my life. I have had days where I'm too full of anxiety that I don't want to get out of bed, I struggle to eat and I begin to obsess. It's exhausting.
     But I know freedom. I know Christs revitilising hand and loving heart that has re-energised me and shown me transcendent love. There is no fear in love. I know that I have not been made to have a heart of fear, the bondage of anxiety does not hold me back. The chains that prevent me from fulfilling my potentially do not have power of any sort. In Jesus name I am free from judgement, free from guilt, free from fear. Fear is no longer my slave master.
    I'm not saying that I have total freedom. I relapse into anxious thinking more often than not. Usually if I don't have my mind focussed on God (actually whenever I don't have my mind focussed on God). If I watch things that don't necessarily glorify God (this doesn't have to mean anything over the top, even little comedy programmes that glorify lust, blasphemy, violence), if I speak unjustly about somebody (from gossip to arguing), if I haven't prayed in a while, if I do anything that doesn't glorify God (again this doesn't have to be anything too extreme). All these little attributes can affect my heart and mind toward God. In extreme cases you can become a slave to these things, they begin to dictate your life and you feel ruled by them. Once again, I am no longer a slave.
   For me a way that prevents being a slave not only to the world, but to fears and anxieties is by speaking out the word of God that counteracts anything that the devil is trying to manipulate you with (because let's be honest, that is what's happening). When the devil tries to tell me to feel guilty; 'Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood' (Isaiah 54:4). When the devil tells me I am alone; 'The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves, He will take great delight in you; in His love He will no longer rebuke you; but will rejoice over you with singing' (Zephaniah 3:17). When the devil tells me to look to the world for advice; 'Do not put your trust in princes, in human beings who cannot save' (Psalm 146:3). There are so many, speak them against the lies of the devil. He is known as the deceiver - he will do anything within his power to make you fall, to make you a slave. In Christ you are free.

YOU ARE NO LONGER A SLAVE TO FEAR, BUT A CHILD OF THE LIVING GOD.

Pray freedom and knowledge of God's love over your life. Pray for a breaking of whatever is holding you back, the chains to be uprooted. Take the shackles off your feet so you can dance!

Blessings
May 
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment